Alexander A Oraevsky, PhD
Chief Executive Officer and Chief Technology Officer
Dr. Alexander A. Oraevsky has 25+ years of experience managing research and development laboratories in academia and small businesses. Alexander obtained a doctorate in laser spectroscopy and laser biophysics from the USSR Academy of Sciences. He began his pioneering research in the field of optoacoustic imaging, sensing and monitoring in 1988 and presently referred as the Father of biomedical optoacoustic imaging. Prior to foundation of TomoWave Laboratories in 2010, he served as Chief Scientific Officer and Board Member of Seno Medical Instruments (San Antonio, Texas),
Vice-President of Research and Development for Fairway Medical Technologies (Houston, Texas). In his academic career he held Professor and other honorary faculty positions at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Rice University (Houston, Texas), the University Carlos III of Madrid, Guangzhou Medical University and the University of Houston. Dr. Oraevsky is the recipient of multiple research awards advancing biomedical applications of the optoacoustic imaging sensing and monitoring, including international Berthold Leibinger Innovations Prize 2014. Alexander is the primary inventor of 21 patents. In 1999 he founded a conference dedicated to biomedical optoacoustics under auspices of SPIE Photonics West Symposium, presently titled “Photons plus Ultrasound: Imaging ad Sensing. This conference enabled rapid global spread and exponential growth of the optoacoustic imaging technologies
- Ph.D. (1986) – Laser Spectroscopy, Photochemistry and Biophysics, Institute of Spectroscopy, USSR Academy of Sciences, Russia.
- M.S. (1980) – Ultrafast Laser Spectroscopy of Biomolecules, Moscow Physical and Engineering Institute, Russia.
- B.S. (1978) – Theoretical and Experimental Physics Moscow Physical and Engineering Institute, Russia.
- Optoacoustic Imaging and Sensing of Tissue and Cells
- Optics and imaging of Nanoparticles
- Laser Fluorescence Microscopy and Spectroscopy for Medicine
- Laser Photochemistry of Biomolecules
- Pulsed Laser Ablation of Tissues and Biomaterials
- Photothermal, Photomechanical and Photochemical Tissue Effects
- Laser Physics, Optical Systems
1. D.A. Angelov, P. G. Kryukov, V. S. Letokhov, D.N. Nikogosyan, A. A. Oraevsky: Selective action on nucleic acids nucleotides by UV picosecond pulses. In: Lasers in Photomedicine and Photobiology, ed. by R. Pratesi, C.A. Sacchi. Springer Series in Optical Sciences, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg, vol.22, pp.207-215, 1980.
2. N.P. Furzikov, V. S. Letokhov, A. A. Oraevsky: Fundamentals of laser angioplasty: Photoablation and Spectral Diagnostics. In: Laser Science and Technology, ed. by A.N. Chester, New York-London: Plenum Press, 1988, pp. 243-257.
3. A.A. Oraevsky, V.S. Letokhov: Pulsed laser ablation of atherosclerotic plaque in blood vessels, In: The Practice of Interventional Cardiology / 2nd edition, ed by J.H.K. Vogel and S.B. King III, Chapter 19, pp. 203-214, Mosby Year Book, St.Louis-Baltimore-Boston-London-Sydney-Toronto, 1992.
4. A.A. Oraevsky, A.A. Karabutov: “Time-resolved Detection of Optoacoustic Profiles for Measurement of Optical Energy Distribution in Tissues”, in: “Handbook of optical biomedical diagnostics”, ed. by V.V. Tuchin, SPIE Press, Bellingham WA, Chapter 10, pp. 585-646, 2002.
5. A.A. Oraevsky, A.A. Karabutov: “Optoacoustic Tomography”, in Biomedical Photonics Handbook, ed. by T. Vo-Dinh, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 2003, Vol. PM125, Chapter 34, pp. 34/1-34/34.
6. A.A. Oraevsky: Optoacoustic tomography of the breast, Chapter 33 in “Photoacoustic imaging and spectroscopy”, ed. by L. Wang, Taylor and Francis Group, New York, 2009.
7. A.A. Oraevsky: Gold and silver nanoparticles as contrast agents for optoacoustic imaging, Chapter 30 in “Photoacoustic imaging and spectroscopy”, ed. by L. Wang, Taylor and Francis Group, New York, 2009.